12 Factors that Put You at Risk for Diabetes
Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, but one in four adults afflicted doesn’t know they have it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Furthermore, it is estimated that one in three Americans has prediabetes, meaning their blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to diagnose diabetes. For adults aged 65 years and older, it is estimated that one in every two has prediabetes.
Knowing if you are pre-diabetic is essential because you may have the power to delay or even stop the onset of the disease with simple lifestyle changes such as weight loss and exercise.
If you're wondering if you are pre-diabetic or have diabetes, contact me for a free evaluation. With just a few simple questions, I can assess your risk and provide you with needed resources.
Prediabetes Risk Factors
Factors that put you at greater risk for pre-diabetes include:
- Immediate family member having diabetes
- Being overweight or obese
- High blood pressure
- Low HDL or good cholesterol
- High total cholesterol
- History of cardiovascular disease
- Having obstructive sleep apnea
- Family background that is African American, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander
- Having gestational diabetes when pregnant or delivering a baby weighing nine lbs or more
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Older age
- Dark patches in skinfolds- neck, armpits or groin
Prediabetes generally has no symptoms. However, as you get closer to the onset of disease, the following may occur:
- Your gums occasionally bleed, and your dentist has ruled out poor hygiene and other dental concerns as the cause
- You are thirstier than usual without an explanation as to why
- Your doctor has told you that your A1C score is between 5.7 - 6.4 on routine blood work results
How to find out if you’re pre-diabetic
Want to know if you are pre-diabetic or have diabetes? Contact me for a free evaluation. With just a few simple questions, I can assess your risk and provide you with needed resources.