5 Reasons Why Kids & Teens Can’t Miss Summer Camp
Do you remember your best summer ever? Did you stay all day with your friends at the local pool? Did you head to the local park and play basketball? Or was your best summer the one when you discovered your favorite literary heroes and followed their adventures from the comfort of your own backyard?
Summer is the ideal time to get children out and exploring, but for some, the end of the school year can mean limited access to recreational and educational activities which help them learn, grow and thrive. Studies show that children can experience learning loss and even gain weight twice as fast during the summer than during the school year. But summer camp can combat all of this! Here are five of our favorite reasons for kids and teens to attend summer camp. We’re sure you can think of many more!
- Adventure - Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors.
- Healthy Fun - Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- Personal Growth - While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth are encouraged to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- Friendship - Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- Memories - Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 130 years. Ready to learn more about how you can give your kids and teens the best summer ever? Get started today!