Push your limits - You CAN do it at The CAN!
Ever heard of a slosh pipe? It’s a PVC pipe filled about 2/3 full of water. Carrying it is not easy, but it builds your strength and balance like nothing else—and you can learn to do it at the CAN!
Available only at the Brandywine YMCA, the CAN provides interval and strength training through a mix of cardio and body weight exercises in an outdoor setting. In addition to slosh pipes, the CAN uses simple, everyday objects such as ropes, tires, boxes, sand bags and kettle bells to increase your resilience and strength. If you’re looking for an intense, results-driven workout with a supportive team, the CAN is for you.
Attendees describe the program as a thrill ride, where you leave feeling strong, accomplished, unstoppable, exhilarating and empowered.
Several different workouts are available including:
- Functional Fit – A workout that trains your muscles to work together and prepares them for daily tasks by simulating common movements. While using upper and lower body muscles at the same time, this classes emphasizes core stability. Examples of exercises include squats, lunges, push-ups, pull ups, sit ups and deadlifts.
- Functional Fit Kettlebell – Kettlebells are used as strength and conditioning tools that integrate multi-joint full body movements. Kettlebell exercises demand the use of multiple joints, which engages the larger muscles of the body. This burns calories faster than isolation moves, which only works one muscle.
- TRX - You might be strong, but are you TRX Strong? TRX classes use the TRX suspension training system for a full-body workout. Your body creates the resistance for the exercises. Our CAN TRX class will push you to new levels of strength as you power through multiple sets of high tension loads in this time-based workout.
- Open Gym – During Open Gym, our functional fit coaches are available to answer any questions and offer fresh new workout ideas if you’d like.
- Functional Fit Sleds and Sandbags - Pull it or push it, a SLED is the perfect training tool for building powerful hips and legs. It alone can bring you to your knees! Unlike typical workout implements, a sandbag weight shifts and moves when you do, creating a much more dynamic and challenging workout. It requires you to utilize a variety of stabilization muscles that wouldn’t typically be used for basic lifts, especially for higher repetitions.
- Functional Fit Barbell and Bands - The CAN uses traditional rogue barbells along with Rogue Bumper Plates to help participants experience proper form and technique. A barbell functionally challenges your muscles, joints and balance all at once, and research has proven it can lead to significant strength gains compared to traditional exercises.
- Family Fit Camp - The CAN provides an opportunity for families to work out together. Children ages eight and up will enjoy this circuit style class, where family members cheer on one another."
- Youth Conditioning - Youth conditioning in the CAN accommodates all fitness levels. The small group setting allows our trainers to meet the needs of each participant, helping them to gain the results they are looking for.
CAN classes are available to all members of the YMCA of Greater Brandywine Association, which includes the Jennersville YMCA, Kennett Area YMCA, Lionville YMCA, Oscar Lakso YMCA, Upper Main Line YMCA and the West Chester Area YMCA, in addition to the Brandywine YMCA.
A month of weekly 45-minute classes at the CAN is $45. During June, the rate is reduced to $20. To register, please visit the front desk at the Brandywine YMCA or contact contact Jody Dodds, Wellness Coordinator, at 610-380-9622, ext. 2430.