Learn how to swim with us! YMCA swimming lessons are a progressive program teaching swimming skills, stroke technique and water safety skills such as floating, treading water and safety entering and exiting a pool. Swim lessons are available for all ages, from infants to adults. Private and semi-private swim lessons are also available.
What will my child learn at YMCA Swimming Lessons?
Our progressive swim lessons offer a wide range of offerings based on age and skill and each level focuses on mastery of different skills. Our lessons are offered in three major categories, with several classes offered at each level.
- Swim Starters - Accompanied by parents, infants and toddlers will learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills.
- Swim Basics - Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency.
- Swim Strokes - Students build stroke technique and master water safety.
How do I know which level is right for me?
This selector guide can help you decide what class would be best for your child. We offer classes by age first and then by skill level. You can also call your local Y and set up a free evaluation to see what class would be best for your child.
- Parent & Child: Stages A & B -- Ages 6 months - 3 years
- Preschool: Stages 1 - 4 -- Ages 3 - 5 years
- School Age: Stages 1 - 6 -- Ages 5 - 12 Years
- Teen & Adult: Stages 1 - 6 -- Ages 12 & up
If enroll in the wrong level or feel like your child is in the wrong level class, the YMCA offers the opportunity to change levels within the first two classes of the session.
When are swimming lessons offered?
Swimming lessons are offered year-round with several different options. Each branch differs on what days of the week classes are offered, view your local branch’s schedule or contact them to learn more.
- Group lessons are offered six times per year in seven-week sessions with classes held once per week.
- Parent/Child & Preschool lessons are 30 minutes
- Youth & Adult lessons are 40 minutes.
- Private and semi-private swimming lessons offer additional flexibility with scheduling along with individual attention.
- During the summer, accelerated lessons are available at some locations in two-week sessions with four lessons per week.
How many kids are in each class?
- Preschool classes have a maximum of five kids per class.
- Youth classes have between six and eight kids
- Private lessons are one-on-one.
- Semi-private lessons are typically offered for two students.
How much do swim lessons cost?
The cost of swimming lessons depends on two things: YMCA membership status and age range. Private and semi-private swimming lessons are offered at a different rate.
- Parent/Child Class: $58
- Preschool Class: $62
- Youth Class: $70
- Adult Class: $70
- Parent/Child Class: $88
- Preschool Class: $93
- Youth Class: $105
- Adult Class: $105
Can my children take swim lessons at the same time?
Depending on the age and skill level of your children, they may be able to enroll in the same level/class. Other times, it may be more appropriate for your children to participate in different level classes. Browse the schedule at your preferred location to see if their level classes may be available at the same time.
How and when can I sign up?
Do you offer private lessons?
Yes. Both private and semi-private lessons are available. Contact your preferred branch to schedule a time that best fits your schedule.
What happens if a lesson is canceled or we miss one?
Sometimes bad weather or pool quality may cause a cancellation of lessons. If this does happen, each session includes one built-in makeup week which will be added to the end of a session.
What should I bring to swim lessons?
We recommend that you bring a swimsuit and towel to your swim lessons at minimum. Here is a list of ten things that we recommend you bring to your lessons.
What if I cannot afford my lessons?
As a non-profit, the YMCA offers financial assistance for membership and programs. Contact your local branch for more information.