The Girls on the Run program is based on activities with specific functions to enhance the learning process.
Each meeting is structured as follows:
- Session begins with a "getting on board" and "warm-up" activity that brings the girls' focus on the day's topic.
- The warm-up is followed by a stretching routine that allows for topic related question and answer time.
- During the workout period the girls participate in a variety of running activities that utilize a game or team goal.
- Cool down stretching is then combined with participant question and answer.
- Sessions close with positive words regarding individual and group behavior.
The curriculum encompasses the following 3 concepts:
- Weeks 1 to 4: Self-Care, Self-Awareness, Knowing Self
- Weeks 5 to 8: Correctedness: Selecting Healthy Relationships and Keeping Them Healthy
- Weeks 9 to 12: Empowerment: Celebrating and Sharing Our Strengths