Five Things Families Need to Know About the YMCA
It’s easy to think of the YMCA as a “gym and swim,” but that perception couldn’t be further from the truth, especially for families. Check out these five facts that families need to know about the YMCA:
- The Place for Teens To Be – We offer programs that help youth discover their talents and build confidence. Did you know that any seventh-grader in Chester County can receive a free one-year membership to the YMCA? Bring a school ID and roster or report card, along with a parent/guardian, to register.
Throughout the fall and winter, we offer Saturday Night Lights. Kids in grades four through twelve are welcome to hang out at the Y and play games, swim or work out, while enjoying time with friends. Trained Y staff supervise activities. Members and non-members are welcomed. There is no charge for YMCA Family Members, $3 for YMCA Youth Members, and $6 for non-members.
- Childcare and Preschool Programs – We offer childcare, academic preschool, pre-k, kindergarten and Montessori programs. Care starts at six weeks old. In addition, if you want to squeeze in a workout or run some errands, Y members can take advantage of Child Watch and Sitter Service.
- Helping Your Community – The YMCA is a non-profit, charitable organization that strengthens the foundations of our community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Last year, the YMCA GBW provided financial assistance to 13,424 families, enabling them to access the Y, as well as our childcare, summer camp and programs such as dance and sports.
- Youh Sports Leagues – Did you know that the YMCA invented basketball in 1891? Today, the YMCA offers recreational sports leagues for children ages 3-15. What better place to play basketball then with the organization that invented it? Learn more.
- Birthday Parties – You can have your child’s birthday party at the YMCA of Greater Brandywine (YMCA GBW). In addition to not breaking the bank, there are tons of themes available such as princess fairy parties, tea parties and ninja parties!
Try the Y Today!